Treatment of Leukoplakia
- Excision modalities (surgery, laser ablation, cryosurgery)
- Option to observe lesions diagnosed as benign hyperkeratosis or mild dysplasia
- Possibly photodynamic therapy
- Topical cytotoxic drugs (bleomycin) remain experimental.
- Recurrences common following apparent complete excision
- Observation with repeat biopsies to be performed
- Elimination of tobacco use and heavy alcohol consumption
- Recurrences may be reduced by systemic retinoid therapy.
- Possible dietary measures